We understand and appreciate that you may be concerned about your privacy and the confidentiality and security of information we may gain about you online.
We are committed to protecting your privacy and to complying with the Australian Privacy Principles in the Australian Privacy Act.
personal identifying information collected
We do not collect your personally identifying information unless you knowingly provide the information, nor will your information be shared with other companies for external non-Metia marketing purposes.
- Individually identifiable informationThe types of individually identifiable information we collect will depend on the purposes(s) for which we are collecting it. For example, we may ask for
- your name;
- contact details;
- identification information;
- payment and transaction details;
- history records of your communication and interaction with us;
- details or history of preference, interests and behaviour relation to transactions, products, services and activities on our Website;
as well as other similar Personal Information that is needed to register or subscribe you to our services or offers. If we ever ask for significantly different information, we will inform you. If you do not provide certain requested Personal Information to us, we may not be able to provide you with access to and use of the Website, provide you with access to our other products and services, or to fulfil on or more of our functions and activities applicable to you.
- Non-identifiable information
Non-identifiable information is data that have never been labeled with individual identifiers or from which identifiers have been permanently removed, and by means of which no specific individual can be identified. When you visit our Website, our company servers may automatically record non-identifiable information that your browser sends. This data may include:
- your computer’s IP address;
- browser Type;
- webpage you were visiting before you came to our Website
- the pages within metia.com.au you visit
- the time spent on those pages, items, and information searched on our Website, access times, dates and other statistics.
Non-identifiable information is collected for analysis and evaluation in order to help us improve our Website and the services and products we provide. This data will not be used in association with any other Personal Information.
collection of personal information
- When we collect Personal Information, it is our usual practice to collect this directly from you. We collect Personally Information that is volunteered during registration of an account at the Website, use and access some parts of the Website, or in response to specific information requests explicitly presented to you, such as:
- Browsing our site;
- Saving an item;
- Registering on our Website;
- Logging into the Website once registered;
- Making a purchase from Metia;
- Contacting our Customer Care, either about an order or for any other reason;
- Clicking on Metiabanners, hyperlinks or plugins; or
- during conversation with our team members.
storing the personal information
We use a number of procedures and processes to ensure, where possible, the security and integrity of your Personal Information.
We protect your Personal Information by:
- Restricting access to Personal Information
- Maintaining technology products to prevent unauthorized computer access
- Securely destroying your Personal Information when it is no longer needed for our record retention purposes.
To secure your credit card, we don’t keep details of your credit card information, including the security code (or CCV number) that you need to input in order to complete an order using your credit card.
However, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed as completely secure. Once any information is in our possession, we will take reasonable steps to protect that information from misuse, loss, unauthorized access, and modification or disclosure. While we strive to protect such information, we cannot guarantee 100% the security of any information (personal or other) you transmit to us. Therefore, we will not be liable for any breach of security or unintended loss or disclosure of information due to the Website being linked to the Internet.
the purposes of collecting, holding, using and disclosing personal information
- We only collect Personal Information to the extent necessary to fulfil one or more of our functions and activities, and will do so only by fair and reasonable means. We collect your Personal Information so that we can carry out the following actions (“Purpose”):
- to provide you with products and services that you have requested from us;
- to communicate with you, including about products and services, competition results, special offers, and events which might interest you;
- to answer your questions and provide you with information or advice;
- to create orders, transaction records, agreements for the sale of products or services, accounts, tax invoices or receipts;
- provide your Personal Information to third parties that assist us in providing products and services you have requested, such as delivery service providers and fulfilment managers;
- carry out administration, marketing, planning, fraud and loss prevention activities, procurement, product and service development, quality control and research to improve the way Metiaand our related bodies corporate and service providers provide products and services to you;
- to consider and respond to complaints made by you;
- to comply with laws or regulations or to comply with any directions given by regulators or authorities.
We will only use your Personal Information for the Purposes for which it was collected and we will not otherwise disclose your Personal Information without gaining your consent except where such disclosure is required by law.
- We collect aggregated information about you which informs us about our users. This will allow us to enhance materials viewed by you and services which we offer. The browser information we collect is used in an aggregated, anonymous manner in our internal analysis of traffic patterns within our Website. This information is used by us to administer and improve our education and training products and services.
third party service providers
We engage a range of third parties to provide services and perform business support functions for us. Some of those third parties need access to Personal Information in order to provide the services or perform the functions we require. Where we share your Personal Information with third party service providers, they will be contractually bound to use the information only for the purposes of providing the services or performing the functions required by us and to store the information securely.
Your Personal Information (such as name, address and phone number) or your order and the products you purchase will not be given or sold to any outside organisation for its use in marketing or solicitation without your prior express consent.
- We use “cookies” when you visit our Site. It is a technology that enables us to operate an efficient service and track the patterns of behaviour of visitors to the Site. There are four main types of cookies – here’s how and why we use them:
- Website functionality cookies – these cookies allow you to navigate the Website and use our features, such as “Add to Cart” and “Add to Wishlist”;
- Website analytics cookies – these cookies allow us to measure and analyse how our customers use the Website, to improve both its functionality and your shopping experience;
- Customer preference cookies – when you are browsing or shopping on Metia, these cookies will remember your preferences (like your language or location), so we can make your shopping experience as seamless as possible, and more personal to you;
- Targeting or advertising cookies – these cookies are used to deliver ads relevant to you. They also limit the number of times that you see an ad and help us measure the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
By using our Website, you agree to us placing these sorts of cookies on your device and accessing them when you visit the Website in the future. You can modify the settings on your device to prevent cookie use. Please note by disabling cookies, your user experience may be affected and you might not be able to take advantage of certain functions of our Website.
third party sites
This page was last updated on 15 April 2019.